In the recent times I read a lot about IoT(internet of things). And the way they are going to improve our lives in so many ways. For example the story goes like
- By the time you reach home the thermostat will start the AC or the heater and setup a pleasant temperature
- The new age LED lights are connected to internet and switch on/off based on your location pattern
- The fridge finds out, there is no milk and adds a to-do entry to your to-do list to get the milk
- There will be sensors everywhere. Based on the data they will decide and act intelligently
Yes. All of this is well and good. But among all this intelligent set of things there is a dump thing mixed in. It is none other than the HUMAN. At times I feel scary how this billion of IoT is going to handle the human. I will quote one of my own examples here.
- At our home we have 2 iPods a nano(8GB) and a touch(32 GB)
- My father used the nano while I used the touch
I load the songs into the iPod using the following routine (Because of the difference in the iPod memory size)
- Remove all the songs from iTunes
- Connect the iPod to the PC
- Add the songs based on the need into iTunes
- Run the iTunes sync
- Disconnect the iPod
Sometime back I was travelling to USA for a long term. As a part of the travel preparation I made sure I loaded my entire music library into my iPod touch. One check list item done and ticked. My father requested me to load some of his personal favorites into his iPod nano. I did my regular routine and gave the iPod back to him. He thanked me and verified all his songs were loaded. I felt happy that in between the travel preparation, I could get this small job done.
I packed my bags and reached USA. After a week I thought of listening to some of my favorite music. I took my iPod touch, charged it and connected my headphones to it.
I hear some old song that was my father’s favorite. I thought maybe I added that by mistake. I shake the iPod for a shuffle. Again another old song. After lot of shake I found my entire music is missing and is filled with my father’s collection. I am wondering what has happened? I didn’t touch my iPod after the last sync. I clearly loaded all the songs myself. That was the first step in the travel preparation. I was wondering what sort of black magic has happened?
Then I found out, I turned on itunes wifi sync by mistake sometime back. So when I was loading the songs to my father’s iPod, my iPod touch found that out, intelligently wiped all the songs from its library and loaded all my father’s songs into it over wifi automatically. From the iPod touch point of view this is perfectly fine and intelligent doing all this in the background. But the outcome was a disaster from my point of view.
The problem is humans have a tendency to forget things. Until now it was my PC, internet and the so called Smartphone that has to deal with this situation. Now I am not sure how this billion IoT is going to handle this situation.